Hai Nguyen has over 10 years of experience in the practice of corporate, energy and capital markets. Hai has in-depth knowledge of the Vietnamese capital markets and energy sectors and the general legal landscape of Vietnam. Hai’s current main areas of practice are capital markets and finance transactions and other corporate transactional and advisory matters.
Hai is fluent in English. Prior to joining YKVN, Hai spent 5 years at the Corporate and International Trade departments of Mayer Brown JSM in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Hai’s practice is recognised by International Financial Law Review and Chambers and Partners and Asia Pacific Legal 500. Hai has also authored numerous publications covering a wide range of topics, including global trade, power and Vietnamese legal framework in general and had his articles published on Infra Asia, Asian Power and Asian-mena Counsel Magazine, to name a few.
University of the West of England, United Kingdom, LL.M. (2011)
Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam, B.A. in International relations & Public international law (2007)
Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association
Banking and Finance
- Represented Sovico – the holding company of VietJet in several USD secured loans with Credit Suisse;
- Represented a leading Japanese bank in Vietnam in its provision of USD 100 million to finance a mixed-use property development in Vietnam;
- Represented ITL Holdings as the borrower in a USD 70 million refinancing provided by FIRSTRAND BANK LIMITED;
- Advised an offshore lender in a complex multi-tranche secured term loan facility to a distressed company specializing in mixed-use casino developments in Vietnam;
- Represented PetroVietnam Transportation Corporation in securing USD 150 million syndicated loan for financing the new building of crude tanker fleet; and
- Advised international lenders in financing several hydropower projects in Vietnam.
- Represented Masan Group Corporation on its acquisition of Vingroup’s retail and agriculture units – VinCommerce and VinEcco;
- Represented Vingroup Joint Stock Company on the USD 1 billion investment from SK Group;
- Represented Masan Group Corporation on its sale of USD 470 million treasury shares to SK Group;
- Represented Credit Suisse in various block trade transactions on Vietnamese securities market;
- Represented the issuer Novaland on its issue of USD 160 million international convertible bonds and its subsequent tab issue of USD 80 million;
- Represented the issuer Vinpearl on its issue of USD 325 million international bonds exchangeable with Vingroup shares and its subsequent tab issue of USD 125 million bonds;
- Represented the issuer Hoan My Saigon Hospital on its issue of VND 2,330 billion bonds and guaranteed by CGIF;
- Represented Standard Chartered Bank (Vietnam) Limited as the placement agent on the issue by Nam Long Investment Corporation of VND 660 billion bonds and guaranteed by GuarantCo Ltd;
- Represented FE Credit on its attempt to proceed a debut USD bond issuance of up to USD200 million; and
- Represented one of the local leading banks on its attempt to debut the first Vietnam’s Tier II capital bond issuance.
Corporate and M&A
- Represented Soft Bank on its proposed acquisition of minority stake in a Vietnamese cashless payment platform;
- Represented Cognita as the bidder on the proposed acquisition of a Vietnamese international school chain;
- Represented one of the largest Japanese automobile manufacturers on its majority acquisition of a Vietnamese leading automobile manufacturer;
- Represented a potential buyer on its acquisition of a Vietnamese company engaging in the production of chemicals and plastics;
- Represented a Dubai-based investment firm on its acquisition of assets located in Vietnam;
- Represented a Thai buyer on its acquisition of a Vietnamese company engaging in the retail business;
- Advised a number of offshore insurance companies on the Vietnamese insurance regulations; and
- Regularly delivering FCPA/anti-corruption trainings to foreign-invested companies.
Energy & Infrastructure
- Represented international lenders in the proposed financing to Nam Dinh 1 BOT thermal power plant;
- Advised a PRC investor on its proposed acquisition of a greenfield wind farm in Vietnam;
- Represented a Singapore-based energy firm in its acquisition of shares in the developer of 250MW solar power project in Dak Lak Province, Vietnam;
- Represented Temasek on its acquisition of a number of solar farms in Vietnam;
- Advised international oil companies in tax reimbursement claims, abandonment regulations and arbitration issues relating to their oil and gas exploration and production activities in Vietnam;
- Advised a Japanese conglomerate on its acquisition of a 33% equity interest in a BOT power project in Vietnam;
- Advised a Singapore-based energy firm on the land lease contract and the EPC contract for the construction of a bitumen terminal in Northern Vietnam;
- Advised offshore insurer on Vinh Tan 3 BOT thermal power project in relation to the issuance of the political risk policy; and
- Advised on and negotiating the bareboat charters, and operation and maintenance (O&M) contracts for the construction and operation of floating production storage and offloading (FPSO/FSO).
- Represented leading Vietnamese seafood companies and association including Hung Vuong Corporation, Vinh Hoan, VASEP before the United States’ Department on Commerce in the antidumping order against tra/basa;
- Represented Chinese and Taiwanese steel companies before the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam in the first ever antidumping investigation in Vietnam;
- Represented Russian Agro company in the safeguard investigation in Vietnam; and
- Represented various Vietnamese steel manufacturers including Nam Kim Group, Hoa Sen Group, Ton Dong A in various antidumping/anti-subsidy investigations in Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Australia.
Notable practitioner | Capital Markets | Asialaw