Phuong is a YKVN partner with more than fourteen years’ experience in cross-border and domestic transactions. His practice focuses on M&A transactions, capital markets and finance matters. He has experience in a wide range of corporate matters including structural advice, managing the due diligence, negotiation, documentation and regulatory advice in a broad range of sectors including pharmaceutical, real estate, securities, mining, power and energy, port, consumer, insurance and food & beverage. His capital markets experience encompasses domestic and international bond issuances. In finance, he has been involved with bank financings including syndicated loans. Phuong is also active in international arbitrations.
Prior to joining YKVN, Phuong spent more than two years with the Ho Chi Minh City office of a magic circle firm which he joined from a top Vietnamese law firm. Phuong also spent a year with Kim & Chang after obtaining his LLM in Seoul. He is recognized by asialaw as a “Rising Star” in Corporate and M&A.
TLBU Graduate School of Law, South Korea, LL.M. (2010)
Ho Chi Minh City University of Law, LL.B. (2007)
Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association
Vietnam Bar Federation
Registered Foreign Lawyer in Singapore
Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity Transactions
- Advised the Vietnamese shareholders of Euvipharm JSC, one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in Vietnam, in the sale of the company to a third party as a part of the settlement of an SIAC arbitration with Valeant, a global pharmaceutical company and the controlling shareholder of Euvipharm;
- Advised on the buyout, restructuring and recapitalization of OPV, a Vietnamese pharmaceutical business;
- Advised GIC in an US$850 million pre-IPO transaction in Vinhomes, a leading Vietnamese real estate developer;
- Advised Shinhan Bank Vietnam Ltd. in the bid for, and the acquisition of, the retail business of ANZ Bank (Vietnam) Limited;
- Advised the asset management subsidiary of a Korean life insurance company in the bid for a strategic stake in a major Vietnamese listed company;
- Advised a Singaporean investor in the acquisition of an industrial services zone adjoining to a port facility;
- Advised international investors on regulatory advice in relation to the first casino project in Vietnam;
- Advised a Vietnamese corporation on its sale of an 80% stake in its snacks business to a world’s leading snack company;
- Advised a leading global investment firm on its investment to one of Vietnam’s largest private sector companies with a focus on the consumption and resources sectors;
- Advised a leading local bank in relation to a hostile takeover, together with on-going advice on Vietnamese law compliance;
- Advised international financial investors in acquiring shares of local banks;
- Advised a multinational consumer electric and home appliances company in acquiring white goods business of a global company with leading energy and environmental technology and products for commercial and consumer use in select Asian markets (including Vietnam);
- Advised a Hong Kong listed company in acquiring mining projects in Vietnam;
- Advised international investors on negotiating joint venture documents with Vietnamese companies in mining business;
- Advised a Vietnamese corporation on legal due diligence works and acquisition and development of property projects and convertible loans and bonds; and
- Advised a regional development bank on its due diligence and purchase of Certified Emission Reductions (CERs) from projects using Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) in Vietnam.
- Advised GIC on three residential real estate joint venture projects with Vinhomes;
- Advised Soil Build, a Singapore investor, and CT Group, a Vietnamese real estate developer in the establishment of a joint venture to develop a mixed-use real estate project;
- Advised Keppel Land in the acquisition of a strategic stake in a mega real estate development project in Ho Chi Minh City;
- Advised Global Offshore Marine, a Singaporean investor, in the acquisition of an industrial services zone adjoining to a port facility;
- Advised a consortium formed by GIC, Capitaland and Deutsche Bank on a potential bid for a major real estate asset in Hanoi; and
- Advised an international private equity investor on its proposed acquisition of a portfolio of real estate properties in Vietnam.
Energy and Projects
- Advised Phu Quoc POC, a subsidiary of Petrovietnam, in connection with the development of the US$10 billion Block B gas field offshore Southern Vietnam (YKVN is leading a consortium that includes Shearman & Sterling) including international tenders at the current stage;
- Advised international lenders on the financing of the US$ 9 billion Nghi Son Refinery, the largest refinery project and largest project financing in Vietnam to date;
- Advised international lenders on the financing of US$ 1.4 billion Vinh Tan 1 BOT project;
- Advised international lenders on a US$ 200 million NEXI-backed facility agreement with syndicated lenders for financing Dong Nai 5 Hydro Power Project with MOF guarantee;
- Advised an international financial investor on a US$ 64 million NEXI facility for financing Srepok 4A Hydro Power Project with MOF guarantee; and
- Advised a Singaporean investor in the acquisition of a Vietnamese solar equipment manufacturer.
Other Significant Transactions (non – mergers and acquisitions)
- Advised a public company in settling disputes with the Chinese contractors in E&C Contract in relation to hydropower plant in central highlands of Vietnam with total disputes value of more than US$150 million;
- Advised a multinational chemicals producer on its restructuring in Vietnam;
- Advised one of the world’s leading companies involved in building materials and housing equipment industry on its restructuring in Vietnam;
- Advised international lenders on the first internationally project-financed port deal at amount of US$ 225 million in Vietnam;
- Advised international investors in relation to project finance for Thi Vai International Terminal project;
- Advised Raiffeisen Bank International AG on a US$ 35 million loan secured by a pledge over listed shares in Vietnam;
- Advised a credit insurance company and a banking group on aircraft financing for a local airline;
- Advised a Vietnamese leading company in property development on US$ 300 million project of listing its convertible bonds in SGX; and
- Advised a leading group in Vietnam and in the region with the sectors based on renewable resources on the US$ 90 million listed straight bonds deal in Singapore.